Mr. Gerber is a Co-Managing Shareholder and Chairman of the Firm’s Health Care Practice Group. His practice includes the representation of hospitals, physicians, long term care facilities and other health care providers in medical malpractice litigation, disciplinary actions and regulatory matters. He has successfully defended health care providers in circuit courts around the Commonwealth and before the Supreme Court of Virginia.
He has been repeatedly elected by his peers to be included in Virginia Business magazine’s Legal Elite in the category of Health Law and since 2011, has been selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America. In 2014, he was selected by his peers to be included in Virginia Super Lawyers in the category of Health Care Law. He has an AV Preeminent® rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Gerber has authored numerous articles and is frequently invited to speak at CME programs, Grand Rounds and Risk Management Conferences. He was admitted to the Ohio Bar in 1992, the Virginia Bar in 1993 and the South Carolina Bar in 1995.
International Association of Defense Counsel Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys American Society for Health Care Risk Management Virginia Chapter of American Society for Health Care Risk Management Supreme Court of Virginia Appointee to Medical Malpractice Review Panels.
- The 2009 Economic Stimulus Package's Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act: The Cure For Modernizing the Healthcare Industry and Its Many Side Effects
- Will It Still Be Reciprocal? The Doctor's Insurance Reciprocal and the Impact of Rehabilitation
- Malpractice Reform: A Changing Landscape
- National Practitioner Data Bank: Some Simple Answers
- University of Notre Dame (B.A. Finance 1989)
- University of Toledo College of Law (J.D. 1992)
- Regional Medical Ethics Conference - "The Limits of Unrealistic Treatment Demands - When Beneficence Becomes Non-Maleficence...Seriously? You Want Us To Do What?"
- Risk Management Education Series - "Why Patients Sue"
- CME Presentation - "The Electronic Medical Record : Friend or Foe?"
- CME Presentation - "Anesthesia, The Frequency and Nature of Claims"
- National Society for Histotechnology Annual Conference - "All Things Dead" - Facilitating Loss, a Multi-Disciplinary Approach
- CME Presentation - "On-Call-On the Spot - On Guard", Liability Concerns Related to Being On-Call and "Curbside Consults"
- Regional Medical Surgical Nursing Symposium - "Patient Falls - A Lawyer's Perspective"
- Regional Medical Surgical Nursing Symposium - "Legal Issues in the Nursing Practice"
- VADA Conference - Mid-Year Review: "Meta-Data, Audit Trails, and Other Records - Do We Produce Them?"
- Eastern Virginia Medical School - "The Business of Medicine"
- Skincare Bootcamp - "The Electronic Medical Record, Friend or Foe in Wound Care?"
- Rick Management Education Series - "Disclosure of Adverse Outcomes; The Reality of Telling Patients?"
- Risk Management Education Series - "Consent, Getting the OK and the What Ifs"